BlueTalon Recognized in Gartner’s Market Guide for Data Masking
REDWOOD CITY, Calif., March 1st, 2017 – BlueTalon®, a leader in Data-Centric Security, today announced it has been included as a representative vendor in Gartner’s “Market Guide for Data Masking.” Gartner defines Data Masking as “a technology aimed at preventing the abuse of sensitive data by providing users fictitious yet realistic data instead of real and sensitive data while maintaining their ability to carry out business processes.”
According to Gartner, “Security and risk management leaders should use data masking as a tool to desensitize or protect sensitive data and address the changing threat and compliance landscape.” For example, data masking technology is an effective tool to address new regulations such as EU GDPR.
With exploding volumes of data, organizations need innovative and scalable approaches that let users, developers, or processes access information without running the risk of compromising sensitive data and compliance to regulations.
“We believe our inclusion as a representative vendor in the Gartner Market Guide for Data Masking validates the growing need for large organizations to better handle security and confidentiality of data in big data initiatives,” said Eric Tilenius, CEO of BlueTalon. “Our continued innovation in data security and our ability to support traditional and modern data management platforms provides choice to our customers. They gain operational flexibility in where and how they deploy data while minimizing risks across a variety of use cases.”
BlueTalon Dynamic Data Masking provides the following:
- A library of masking templates that covers out-of-the-box common use cases such as “mask Social Security Number (SSN) field except last four digits”.
- Multiple data redaction options such as using a replacement function that preserves the data format, replacing characters by a pre-defined character (“X”, “O”, or other), or simply blanking out the entire field.
- The ability to apply masking templates dynamically at runtime to data requests through BlueTalon’s policies. Using precise policies that include conditional filtering and dynamically embed user, data, or session attributes, policies can enforce masking templates to the most granular data element stored for a specific user or a group of users.
- The ability to apply masking templates consistently across multiple repositories – Hadoop (and HDFS), Spark, Cassandra, and RDBMS whether they are deployed on premises or in the cloud.
- The ability to prevent any sensitive data from being intercepted between the user and the repository. BlueTalon Data Masking is applied in real-time to the requested data before it is transmitted back to the user. Only masked information is transported back to the user.
- The ability to create and add masking templates to the library to cover additional masking needs beyond what’s available out-of-the-box.
- Finally, BlueTalon Data Masking operates dynamically with no impact on response time and user experience. This eliminates the need for any data duplication which translates in significant cost savings for data projects with petabytes of data.
BlueTalon Dynamic Data Masking is delivered as part of the BlueTalon Data-Centric Security Platform, for which BlueTalon was named a Cool Vendor by Gartner in its April 2016 “Cool Vendors in DBMS, 2016” report.
 Gartner “Market Guide for Data Masking” Marc-Antoine Meunier, Ayal Tirosh, February 6, 2017
 Gartner “Cool vendors in DBMS, 2016” April 21, 2016
Gartner does not endorse any vendor, product or service depicted in its research publications, and does not advise technology users to select only those vendors with the highest ratings or other designation. Gartner research publications consist of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization and should not be construed as statements of fact. Gartner disclaims all warranties, expressed or implied, with respect to this research, including any warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.
About BlueTalon, Inc.
BlueTalon is a leading provider of data-centric security for big data and new data initiatives. The BlueTalon Policy Engine delivers precise, consistent, and dynamic user access controls to data across Hadoop, Spark, Cassandra, and tradition RDBMS. The BlueTalon Audit Engine provides a full audit trail at the level of detail required for compliance to regulations: user and data.
Fortune 100 companies have deployed BlueTalon to eliminate security blind spots and gain visibility and control at the data layer across cloud-based and on-premises environments, and has won numerous security and big data awards.
Learn more about BlueTalon at http://www.bluetalon.com